Friday 13 April 2018

R.I.P Dollar 27.06.2006 - 13.04.2018

Today I had to say goodbye to the most beautiful, gentle, people loving poodle I have ever had the honour of owning.
Dollar came to me when she was approx 5 months old, she was a show kennels reject and my best friend. Right from the start Dollar adored people, she insisted that anyone she met made a fuss of her, over the years she honed this skill so that even on a walk she would get attention from all that crossed her path as she would calmly approach people and then stand across their path so that they couldn't get past her without some form of contact. So many people that we met regularly on our walk refer to her as 'my girl' she just knew how to make them feel like they were special.

Dollar really never put a foot wrong, she was a bit of a counter surfer, she would chase the cats if they ran in the garden but other than that I can only really think of one time when she was actually naughty. That was a year or two ago, on a poodle meet that I had organised at Saunton Sands. Dollar, who had never ever chased a horse in her life, suddenly decided to completely show me up in front of a large group of fellow poodle owners by taking chase when a rider passed us. She ran, flat out, for at least 1/2 mile before turning round and sauntering back with a smile on her face.

I honestly thought Dollar would be one of those lucky poodles that made 15+ years, she was fit as a flea, not a hint of arthritis or senior confusion, up until a couple of months ago she really could have passed for a dog 5/6 years younger than she was, but this was not to be. A few months ago she developed a couple of completely rotten teeth, which struck me as odd as her teeth were so clean, not a scrap of plaque on them, she had also started to drop condition a bit despite eating very well. The teeth had to be removed and at the same time I asked the vets to look at an ulcer on her gum. She was put on antibiotics for the ulcer alongside pain killers as the ulcer was very sore. The antibiotics had no effect so another type was tried, then a 3rd lot alongside a dental gel. The ulcer remained largely unchanged so at that point I requested a biopsy. I already had a good idea about what the biopsy would reveal, but it was still a blow when it confirmed that the ulcer was cancerous and that surgery was not a viable option.
Even at this point I had hoped we would have the summer together, and initially that looked like it was a possibility.  But this week, in a matter of just a few days the weight started to really drop off her, she went from jumping  into the top pen in the van like it was nothing, to not being able manage it. She had her normal walk yesterday and although she certainly didn't look particularly poorly she didn't have her normal level of energy. Today was a different story, all she wanted to do was stand at the end of the garden, shaking and panting, she had no interest in her breakfast at all.
Arrangements were made for the vet to do a house call (Dollar had a very stressful time with the biopsy and I couldn't bear the thought of my girl being scared). The vet arrived at lunchtime, and my beautiful girl who always greeted everyone  didn't even lift her head, I truly believe she just wanted to go.
She was put to sleep where she lay, no stress and she passed very peacefully.
She was one in a million, she will be missed not only by me and my family but by everyone who loved her on our walks. She has left a legacy of some beautiful and very special silver poodles, including Dime, but there will never be one quite as beautiful on the inside as she was.

This was the last picture I took of her, just a week ago when she was still living life to the full. This is how I shall remember her.
 

2 comments:

Pam said...

Oh Jane. I am so very sorry. Dollar was one in a million. She was stunningly beautiful and had such an endearing nature. Her legacy will live on in many Stand Poodles. Sweet dreams Dollar.
Pam

Jane Rowden said...

Thank you Pam.